Thursday, December 22, 2011

Worthwhile

 

I am not going to make a top-ten list of the best films of 2011. I outright, point-blank refuse. However, here is a list of some films I saw this year that I believe may be more worth viewing than most others. This is not to say they have any heirarchy, any immediate standing in the history of cinema, or that I'm right at all. It means they were films that, due to my enjoyment of them, seem to have used the form in a methods that are startling, risky and interesting. Because of those three essential qualities, they may or may not have contributed something to the larger sphere of moving imagery.


The Skin I Live In
The Tree of Life
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall his Past Lives
Shame
Lemmy
Without
Possession (originally released 1981)
Le Quattro Volte
Melancholia


Which films did I forget? Possibly several. Which bad movies are worth talking about? None.